Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Jen's Update

My friend Jen has come through four heavy duty in-hospital chemo treatments recently. Now, she is happy to be able to attend her son's wedding before going back into the hospital, this time for a month, for an autologous stem cell transplantation for non-hodgkin's lymphoma. She just sent me this picture, and I think it perfectly demonstrates her courage in the face of incredibly difficult treatment.

It's hard on the body. It hurts. And it's not a guarantee. But more, Jen will be isolated in the hospital for a month, which she anticipates with trepidation. Still, she's doing it with courage... for life.

Self-Portrait by Jen

People don't generally remember that chemo not only makes you lose hair, it makes you lose your eyelashes and eyebrows, as well. Jen says it feels rather strange, but when she's hot, she just can't bear a hat, and so suffers people's stares instead.

If you read my blog, take a moment for a silent prayer on Jen's behalf. She is so brave, and I am so proud of her! Prayers are good. They really help.

D~

3 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

Prayers and thoughts are always needed, and I just said one for your friend, Jen.

Hope you are well...

Donna L. Faber said...

Thank you, Dan ...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dan and Donna, for the prayers. Donna, thank you ever so much for the blog about what I'm going to face.

Monday I have the 90-minute Q&A with the stem cell folks and then, within a couple of weeks, admitted in for the month long journey. I am apprehensive, but hopefully it will pass quickly.

I'm big enough to admit that I'm scared - scared to the bone.

As I have always said ... I'm like a New York cockroach; you just can't kill it. Let's see if I can skitter fast to avoid getting squished ;-)

Again, thank you Dan and Donna!!

Hugs,

Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...